Hello hello hello! I hope all is well on this fine day.
If you have dark spots or any form of skin issue like acne or blackheads you NEED to get on the toner train. I’ve been in LOVE with all-natural skin care and pretty much any DIY beauty products and I noticed that I also don’t really use store bought toners anymore. For a while now I have been using random cycles of all-natural toners that I can make at home.
I figured since toners are such an important product that everyone should have in their skin care routine, that I would share these homemade face toners with you all so you can save your MONEY and YOUR SKIN! These Toner recipes can be made with ingredients that you may already have or that can be found at your local dollar store or Walmart.
What is a Face Toner?
A face toner is a beauty product that should be used in your skin care routine daily. It is a liquid that you apply to your face immediately after washing your face.
Toners have a ton of benefits for the skin but my favorite of all are the noticeable lightening of dark marks and acne scars. I never had bad acne but when I did get breakouts I would always be left with scars and hyperpigmentation. Adding a toner to my regimen changed my skin and my complexion and many people swear by face toners to even their skin tone.
Toners also rid the skin of leftover bacteria, balance the PH balance of your skin and provide a deep cleanse to your pores to tighten them.
Most store-bought toners and face astringents contain alcohol which can really dry out your skin and defeats the purpose of a toner. I prefer using all-natural toners because you can make them without alcohol and with natural ingredients that in my opinion are 10 times better than a store-bought toner.
I honestly think homemade toners work best because there is something about nature that brings the best results for certain things, especially your skin health. So, I have come up with a list of 4 all-natural face toners that work to brighten your skin and fade dark spots.
Disclaimer: I just want to let you know that I do receive commission when you purchase products I link in this post. This is of course at no cost to you and all of my recommendations are honest personal opinions only and should be followed at your own risk 🙂
1| Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is literally like the holy grail of all things healthy. It works so well for weight loss, flavoring food, detoxing your body. BUT it also can be applied directly to the face as a TONER.
The results will amaze you. Lemon Juice has antibacterial properties and work to get a deeper cleanse, kill lingering bacteria and fight acne. Lemon is also an anti-fungal which helps reduce more complex acne like cystic acne and fungal acne.
Lemon juice also contains Ascorbic Acid and Vitamin C which will help lighten the skin and reduce dark spots and acne scars.
- There are many ways that you can get 100% lemon juice. You can either buy lemon juice already pre squeezed from a grocery store or online here. OR if you are anything like me and have lemons in your fridge you can just cut a small slice of a fresh lemon as well .
- When using the lemon juice toner, you will just use 1/3 lemon juice to 2/3 water or basically dilute the lemon juice and apply with a cotton pad to your face immediately after washing.
- Do not rinse. Continue with your skin care routine and follow with a Hyaluronic Acid Face Serum.
Don’t have a skin care routine? You need to check out my Step by Step Skin Care Routine and if you like cool DIY beauty tricks you should definitely SUBSCRIBE below for instant access to all my beauty, health and life tips 🙂
2| Green Tea
I love green tea. It is great to drink, great for your hair AND your skin. This is actually my favorite DIY Toner on this list because it is so soothing, helps fight acne, reduces swelling in your face and gives your skin a nice glow.
This recipe is also nice because you can brew yourself a cup of green tea as well. It has so many different benefits for you regardless of how it is consumed. I actually use it in my hair to reduce shedding.
- Brew a small amount of a good quality Green Tea (I Use Lipton brand) around 1/3 of a cup. This recipe only lasts around 3-4 days so no need to make too much. Once the tea is brewed add a tablespoon of lemon juice the tea.
- Store and refrigerate for 3 hours or until cold.
- Use immediately after washing your face with a good cleanser and follow with a good quality Vitamin C Serum for the best results.
3| Witch Hazel
Now witch hazel is probably something you are going to have to buy but I promise it is not going to break the bank.
Witch Hazel is however, all natural and made from the leaves and the branches of a tree called H. Hamamelis (Its name is much longer but this is not biology).
Anyways, this tree is awesome and witch hazel is used for soothing sensitive skin and a variety of skin conditions like, dark spots, sunburn, scrapes, bug bites and burns.
Which is why witch hazel is the perfect candidate for a kickass toner. It can be found in the Health & Beauty section of your local Walmart or convenience store. I actually buy my skin products online and got the Thayer’s Brand Witch Hazel which is very good quality and under 10 bucks. The bottle also lasts FOREVER!
- Purchase Thayer’s Witch Hazel (or another Witch Hazel they have some at Dollar Tree)
- Immediately after washing your face use a cotton pad to apply a thin layer of witch hazel to your face
- Do not rinse. Follow with a Hyaluronic Acid Face Serum for best results.
4| Apple Cider Vinegar
We all know the hype of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) and let me tell you it is a valid hype. Apple Cider Vinegar like many of the other ingredients on this list has numerous health benefits when consumed in any form or fashion.
ACV can help with weight loss, skin care and even hair care. Using ACV on your skin as a toner is the perfect way to kickstart the detox process on your skin so you can really see some results with your skin care routine.
Keep in mind that this must be done cautiously as it can irritate the skin due to the acidity of the liquid. I recommend not using more than 3 times a week. You will still see results. It is some POWERFUL stuff.
Also keep in mind to DILUTE the Apple Cider Vinegar with water so it is not too harsh on your skin.
ACV contains acetic acid which will detox your pores and skin. Acetic acid can also reduce the appearance of dark spots and acne scars when used regularly (2- 3x a week) in your skin care routine.
- Purchase some Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar from your local grocery store or you can buy online here. *make sure you get a good quality Apple Cider Vinegar that contains “The Mother”. This will be labeled on the bottle*
- DILUTE 1/3 ACV with 2/3 water – you do NOT want to apply ACV directly to the skin without being diluted.
- Rub the mixture on your face using a cotton pad
- Do not rinse. Continue with a Hyaluronic Acid Face Serum for the best results.
Well there you have it 4 DIY Toners to Brighten your Skin. I love making toners from home because they are so effective and cheap. Especially when good quality skin care can really break the bank, it’s nice to save some coins when you can.
Keep in mind that your body becomes healthy from the inside out .To really see results from any new product you want to make sure you are taking care of yourself and maintaining your health. Check out my post on How to Start a Healthy Lifestyle if you are unsure of where to start. I’d love to help you get on the right track 😀
Also, remember that all things take time and if you are going into this thinking that it will change your skin in a few days you are going to be very disappointed. You will start to notice small changes, but you need to be consistent (4-6 weeks) for anything to work properly.
So, create a skin care routine and implement some of these awesome DIY toners to really get your skin healthy and happy.
Did you enjoy this post? Please leave a comment … Do you have some cool toner recipes? Let us know in the comments below