What is Global Warming and Why Should you Care About It?
Global warming refers to our planet’s temperature. Over the past 50 years, the average global temperature has increased at the fastest rate in recorded history.
Global warming occurs when air pollutants and greenhouse gases collect in the atmosphere and absorb sunlight and solar radiation that have bounced off the earth’s surface.
Scientists say that the earth’s rising temperatures are fueling longer and hotter heat waves, more frequent droughts, heavier rainfall, and more powerful hurricanes.
Is Global Warming a Myth ?
Absolutely not . There is scientific evidence backing the fact that our poor care for our environment has a direct effect on the globe and we are even seeing effects of this TODAY.
What Will Happen in 20 years If We Don’t Take Action :
- The glaciers will melt, which will raise the water level on Earth and islands like Venice, New York City and more, will be erased.
- Because of the melting glaciers, the bacteria of old diseases will come out and we’ll have to fight old and serious diseases that came back to our planet.
- Because of the climate changes, there will be massive heat waves that would start big fires and will harm agriculture.
- Impact on the water quality that will lead to a global water shortage. Rising the sea level can also cause the depletion of freshwater as a result of saltwater aquifers.
Don’t you want to live a good life in a good future? Don’t you want your kids to even have a future, water to drink , air to breath and food to eat? Well it will be very hard to fulfill those needs if our wildlife is dying , plants are dying and water supply is decreasing .
So what can we do ?
Here are a few little things that if we all do in our homes, we can make a huge impact and reduce the impact global warming will have on our home – Planet Earth :
- Reduce water waste
- Eat the food you buy, and eat less meat.
- Buy better bulbs – LED lightbulbs use up to 80 percent less energy than conventional incandescents (they are also cheaper).
- Electricity in your home – this is one of the most harmful things we do to the environment. Don’t leave fully charged devices plugged into your home’s outlets, unplug rarely used devices or plug them into power strips and timers, and adjust your computers and monitors to automatically power down to the lowest power mode when not in use.
- When buying a new car, buy an electric car.
- RECYCLE – The average person makes 2.5 Kg of garbage a day! this means that in one year, you make 912.5 Kg of trash that gets thrown outside in our nature and harms our planet the most.
LET’S SAVE OUR PLANET!
This is not a post that has much to do with what I normally discuss here on the blog but this cause is so important to me that I decided to go for it. Our planet needs us to be more mindful of our habits if we want to ensure that there is enough resources so we can survive for many years.
What has been a common problem in our world is the amount of WASTE. I tip my hat off to minimalist that make it a habit to stop wasting and to really focus on saving what we already have.
Earth has been good to us by providing us oil for gas , trees for air , rain for drinking and I think it’s time we return the favor !
So in this post you guessed it Im going to discuss 4 ways you can be less wasteful and join us in the fight to reduce global warming in our precious world.
1| Get a Reusable Water Bottle.
I know everyone talks about how important it is to drink water and it is but let’s not go overboard with the plastic bottles okay? There was a time in my life when I was buying a case of water every week and not even finishing all the water and then having bottles and bottles and bottles and BOTTLES (get it ?) of plastic water bottles just lying around .
Of course I would use the remaining water for my cats and dogs so the water was not being wasted but the amount of plastic I was going through was just insane.. That plastic gets in our landfills and water supply and harms our wildlife. Sure I recycled but why put myself in that equation of being incredibly wasteful and harmful to the life on earth? Why recycle when I could just not use the plastic bottles AT ALL.
That’s exactly what I did, I stopped buying cases and cases of water and I invested in a water bottle. Not a huge investment by the way you can pick one up at the dollar store and just keep refiling and refilling and refilling without creating so much plastic waste.
So Drink up but make sure it’s in a reusable bottle 😉
2| Hand Wash Your Dishes
Im sorry I had to be the one to tell you to hand wash your dishes but seriously dishwashers waste so much water.
Did you know you use an extra 10 gallons of water by using the dishwasher? Luckily for me mine does not work so I don’t have a choice haha but seriously be more mindful of your dishwasher use. Maybe consider only using it once a week or not using it at all.
Honestly, since I started handwashing my dishes my kitchen stays cleaner because I hate dirty dishes. So when they are in the sink I end up washing them every night after dinner and since Im already cleaning I end up cleaning the counters and the stove and sometimes even sweeping the floor. That may just be my OCD though.
I still recommend not using it often and if you have a fancy dishwasher I believe they even have a water saving options so if you have that option and you just HAVE to use the dishwasher just use that option.
If not roll them sleeves up boo and save the planet!
3| Stop Running Water.
There is no reason to just have the water running when it’s not being used. Im from hot ass Arizona Desert haha so water conservation is important to us.. There are no natural bodies of water in Arizona so it’s tough.
As a kid in elementary school every year we would have a water conservation assembly and the main thing discussed was just running water.
So here are a few ways you can cut the water off and save:
- Turning off water when washing your face
- Turning off water when brushing your teeth
- Taking shorter showers and less baths
- Turning off the watter when washing dishes
Obviously you need to run the water but it doesn’t have to sit there and run the entire time you’re brushing your teeth … Get it? Got it? Sweeeet 😀
So I am a super huge fan of thrifting which if you didn’t know is second hand clothes shopping. I find the cutest most of the time name brand clothing (with tags) from the thrift store.
Then I just take the clothes home, wash them and boom new clothes without wasting the resources from newly purchased clothing.
The best part about thrifting is that fashion these days seems to be going BACKWARDS. With many popular styles from the 90’s, 80’s, 70’s and even the 60’s bouncing back in style. The best way to stay trendy is to find clothing from those time periods and that’s where thrifting comes in.
Thrift stores are like a treasure hunt and you can find some awesome trendy pieces that areCHEAP AF! I can literally go to a thrift store with $30 and get maybe 2-3 outfits depending on the thrift store.
So try going thrifting wear some sensible shoes because you do have to actually shop and dig but guess what you can save our planet and save some money AND get new clothes. Win, win and WIN!
Well I certainly hope this post has opened your eyes to some environmental mistakes you may be making that could be harming our planet and our available resources. Don’t worry I was guilty of all of these things so don’t be alarmed all we can do is make better more environmental friendly choices in the future.
So just try a few things, maybe get a water bottle and try to not run the water too much. Any little change helps and the more people on board the better our world will be.
Until next time!
This was a collaboration with multiple bloggers because we all believe our planet is valuable. Check out their perspective on Global Warming:
- travel-by-maya.com – How to become an eco-friendly traveler?
- mydawninglight.com – GLOBAL WARMING & SUSTAINABILITY: It All Starts With You
- thebetterperiod.com – Global Warming and your period
- irishtwinsmomma.com – How to stop global warming
- southerncomfortliving.com – The terrifying truth behind disposable diapers
- alternativelyspeaking.ca – The truth about eco-friendly hair dye
- ofearthandbeauty.com – How fast fashion is hurting our planet
- youthsoloartsy.com – Global warming affects our travel lifestyle
Do you think you can add some of these environment saving habits to your daily life? Do you have other things that you do to help our planet? Comment below… The more tips the merrier we can work together to get the world on track one individual at a time