Hello ladies , I have been DYING to share with you the power of knowing your hair porosity . Not only will this little trick help you understand your hair but with understanding comes GROWTH…. SO we are going to grow our hair this year.
I completely understand the struggle . Trying to grow long natural hair but never truly understanding what to do. Girl I FEEL YOU. So this post is going to break down your beautiful natural hair into a science so you can FINALLY understand and grow long hair .
I will spend this entire post breaking down hair porosity and how it will help you understand and master your hair and its growth .
Affiliate Disclaimer: I just want to let you know that there are affiliate links in this post, and I do receive commission when you purchase products I link in this post. This is of course at no cost to you and all of my recommendations are honest personal opinions only and should be followed at your own risk .
What Is Hair Porosity
The most important key of hair growth and length retention is moisture. Your hair remaining moisturized and hydrated keeps it from breaking off and stunting its growth .
This is why hair porosity is the most important key to natural hair growth .
Hair porosity is the rate at which your hair retains moisture and then loses the moisture. It allows you to know how easily your hair will absorb moisture and how long your hair will stay moisturized .
Your hair porosity can be either low or high – however knowing which is very important to how you will care for your hair in the future.
Understanding your porosity is so very important . Im going to now go into depth on how to find your hair porosity and then what you need to do to care for your hair depending on your hair porosity results.
HOLD UP HOLD UP ! Before we begin . Have you joined my list and received your FREE Natural Hair Care Checklist Yet ?
GIRL if you have not you go ahead and sign up below . You will automatically receive a Natural Hair Care Checklist to help you on your natural hair growth journey .
You will also be apart of products giveaways, beauty coupons/deals and exclusive information sent WEEKLY to help you grow your natural hair . So What are you waiting for home girl . Sign up below – it wont even take you from this screen 🙂
How Do I Find My Hair Porosity
Finding your hair porosity is very simple and only takes about 5 minutes .
What You Will Need :
- A cup of water
- 3-4 strands of hair
- A towel for your tears when you realize this tip is going to change your life forever hahaha!
Finding Hair Porosity With The Floating Test:
- Step 1: Fill the cup with water – not too full id say a little more than half full
- Step 2: RIP OUT YOUR HAIR . Haha I’m kidding but seriously you will need to gently take a 3-4 strands of your hair from your head .
- Step 3: GENTLY shampoo those strands so they can be clean for the experiment
- Step 4: Gently Dry the strands of hair with a paper towel
- Step 5: Drop the strands of hair in the cup of water
- Step 6: Wait 2 minutes
- Step 7: Check the strands of hair if they are floating on top of the water you have LOW POROSITY hair if they have sunk to the bottom of the cup then your hair is HIGH POROSITY.
How To Care For Low Porosity Hair
If you are like me and your hair floated in the previous experiment then you my friend have low porosity hair . Don’t worry its not a bad thing you just need to know what works for your hair and how you can best take care of your low porosity tresses.
If your hair is low porosity it is very hard to moisturize. Your hair cuticles are always closed , meaning getting product and moisture to penetrate your hair is very difficult and will require heat . However, if you are able to moisturize your hair successfully it usually will stay hydrated for days due to your hair cuticle closing and holding the moisture in .
Just know your hair cuticles are closed so anytime you are going to put any moisturizer or deep conditioner on your hair you are going to need to apply HEAT to activate your cuticles so they can actually receive the product you are putting on it .
Practices For Low Porosity Hair
- Heat up you moisturizer for 15-30 seconds in the microwave before applying to your hair .
- Heat up your deep conditioner before applying
- Invest in a hooded dryer OR get this CHEAP alternative so you can take your deep conditioners to the next level.
- Prepoo your hair using a Hot Oil Treatment or a Cowash(conditioner) – then shampoo your hair and proceed with deep conditioning . This will pack your hair with extra moisture before shampooing .
- Shampoo your hair using a light clarifying shampoo weekly – low porosity hair gets product buildup very quickly because products sit on top of our hair. Because of this cleansing your hair is important to keep your hair fresh and ready to receive moisture.
- Deep conditioning weekly with a protein free deep conditioner .
- Dont use products with a lot of protein- while protein is needed every now and then – low porosity hair does not react well with protein.
- Use light water based moisturizers and products . Again low porosity hair gets product build up easily so its best to avoid thick, heavy and creamy products to prevent build up .
- Use light oils that won’t build up on your hair . I recommend using thin oils such as grape seed oil, almond oil and jojoba oil to prevent heavy oils from sitting on top of your hair.
- Moisturize and seal your hair at least 2 times a week.
My Favorite Products For Low Porosity Hair
- Crème of Nature Oil Moisturizer
- Lottabody Moisturize Me Curl & Style Hair Milk
- Camille Rose Naturals Curl Love Moisture Milk
Light Clarifying Shampoo
- Mane And Tail Conditioner
- Carol’s Daughter Almond Milk Daily Damage Repair Ultra Nourishing Hair Mask
- Shea Moisture’s manuka honey mask
All Natural Products
How To Care For High Porosity Hair
If you did the porosity experiment and your hair sunk to the bottom then girl you have high porosity hair . Keeping your hair moisturized will be something you need to do almost daily due to your cuticles naturally wanting to be open which lets moisture slip away.
If your hair is high porosity it will be very easy to moisturize . Your hair cuticles are open and ready to receive moisture . The downside to this is that your hair will also lose moisture as quick as it received it so sealing moisture in is a MUST with high porosity.
The main point with high porosity hair is keeping your hair moisturized by sealing the moisture in very well .
Practices For High Porosity Hair
- Using the LCO method to moisturize your hair . This includes using a leave in conditioner , then a cream moisturizing product and finishing with a butter or oil at least 4 times a week .
- Heavier oils and butters are best for your hair – oils like coconut oil , castor oil and shea butter work very well at sealing in moisture for high porosity hair.
- Deep conditioning weekly with a light protein conditioner .
- Doing a protein treatment every 6 weeks – high porosity hair loves and needs protein to stay strong and healthy .
- Cowash or do a Hot Oil Treatment on your hair in-between deep conditioning – high porosity hair needs a little push in the right direction . So doing a mini conditioning treatment using a hot oil or conditioner in the middle of the week will whip your hair back into shape . Just apply a regular conditioner or hot oil on your hair (15-30 minutes) then rinse it out . Then moisturize your hair as usual.
- Shampoo your hair with a moisturizing sulphate free shampoo at least every 7-10 days. It is still important to keep your hair clean . A clean scalp is a happy scalp.
- Avoid high heat and chemicals on your hair . It is very easy to damage high porosity hair due to it being so open so be very careful when using harsh chemicals and dyes and try to stay away from using hot tools on your hair.
- Use Lukewarm water to rinse out conditioners to prevent your hair from losing moisture and getting dry quickly .
Awesome Products For High Porosity Hair
- Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor
- Carols Daughter Sacred Tiare Hair Mask
- Shea Moisture Mongongo High Porosity Moisture Seal Mask
All Natural Products
- Aloe Vera
- Apple Cider Vinegar
How Does This Help Me Grow My Hair ?
Hair porosity by itself will not grow your hair . BUT if you use your hair porosity as a guide in creating your hair routine you will start to see your hair thrive .
Just knowing your hair porosity obviously will not make your hair grow but if you follow these steps and tips you will start to understand more how to take care of your hair . That my beauty will lead to hair growth and health.
I really hope this post has been helpful for you and your hair journey . Finding and understanding your hair porosity will really help you master how to take care of your hair . If you are consistent with your new found hair care tips your hair will thrive and eventually GROW.
Just remember to be consistent , everything beauty takes time . Your hair will not grow 6 inches over night and there is no magic product that will fix your hair. The only thing that will show you results is taking good care of your hair and understanding what is best for your natural hair .
If this post has inspired you to tweet your hair regimen then pleaseeeee share this with your friends on social media . Also, don’t forget to grab your FREE Natural Hair Care Checklist for all the tools and products you need to start your hair care journey to GROWTH.
If you would be interested in watching me do hair care videos then comment below . I want to know what you’re struggling with in your natural hair care journey so we can work together to achieve long healthy and beautiful natural hair.
Until Next Time !